Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Holiday Highlights

We spent the holidays in Utah with Kevin's family. It was really great to see them, and also fun to enjoy the snow. Here are the highlights in no particular order:

Christmasiest Christmas Moment: seeing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir perform a Christmas program in the Conference Center. Wow.

Most Overdue Reunion: catching up with Niki Nichols, one of my oldest and dearest amigas.

Most Unexpected Produce Moment: Kev's sister grew carrots that must have weighed 5 pounds each. I think they used uranium fertilizer.

Best Christmas Present: Milles Bornes, the card game. Kevin and I were both such geniuses that we each got it for each other.

Other Best Christmas Present: Grandma and Grandpa kept Stellan overnight so Kevin and I could sneak away for a night on the town and a couple's massage in the morning. Thanks so much, Mom and Dad!

Best White Elephant Hook Up: We brought 3 gifts and left with none. 'Nuff said.

Most Exciting British Playwright Event: Kevin's parents hired a sitter and then got tickets for all their kids (the grown-ups) to see "The Importance of Being Earnest," by Oscar Wilde. One of my favorites, and also one that got me mocked by middle schoolers who caught me reading it on the bus. When I was 20.

Stellan's Favorite Part: his cousins.

Stellan's Other Favorite Part: Sebastian the dog.

Stellan's Other Other Favorite Part: snow.

Most Violent Card Game Ever Played: Spoons, as played by Kevin and his cousins. Apparently Spoons is a full-contact sport. Who knew?

Most Compelling Reason Not To Invite Us To Stay At Your Home: Ask Kevin's dad about his beautiful brand new 37" flat screen LCD HDTV. And about how Stellan threw a remote into it, damaging it beyond repair.

Please enjoy the following slideshow with some of our favorite moments, carnage of the TV, and a special bonus for all you Spanish-speakers out there.



7 comments:

michelle m said...

I love Mille Bournes! Coupferee. Not that I know how to spell that, however. I am pretty sure my parents lied to us about all the French pronunciation in that game...

Vivian said...

I wish I could have seen Niki Nichols. Those carrots are ridiculous. And hey- people watch too much tv anyway, right? He was doing them a favor.

Steph said...

You know I love me some striped potatoes!

Flem said...

Maybe the person was a huge fĂștbol fan?

Heh. Rayados.

And I love the family pic with upside down Stellan, very cute--very sorry to hear about the tv damage that must have been a sad moment for you though I doubt very seriously that Stellan lost any sleep over it.

Karen said...

Favorite grandma moment:
Reading about all your favorite moments!

Katie said...

Oh, the tv!

Look at the bright side: At least he threw the remote control, and not one of those freak carrots. He could have brought down the entire structure of the home.

Anonymous said...

Being the farmer that I am, I would love to get ahold of the gene pool that produces stripped potatoes!
Being the detail oriented person that I am, I notice 100% natural is not translated.

I hope the TV is insured.