Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Girls Camp - Finally!

I made it back from Girls Camp alive, and happy at that. Although we had our fair share of near-disasters (25 mph headwinds while canoeing, the camp forgetting to pack my girls food for 2 days and nighttime temps that dipped into the low 40's - which is like Antarctica to Floridians, just to name a few), we had a great time on our canoe trip. The girls rose to the challenge and learned a lot about teamwork and unity. We also took advantage of Holy Week to spend time studying the scriptures and participating in some great devotionals.
I took the 15-year-olds (4th year campers) with me for the first three days on the aforementioned canoe adventure, and we joined the other 60 girls back at the main camp on Wednesday afternoon. We all enjoyed showers and food cooked by someone else. There were plenty of wild late night dance parties, alligator sightings and outdoor activities. Surprisingly, none of my girls opted to canoe in the lake during free time.
All in all, it was a blast. One of my own personal favorite parts was spending time with the other 4th year counselor, Valerie. She is so funny and awesome. It was like meeting my own best camp buddy. Thanks, Val, for making me laugh harder than I have in a pretty long time. And go Girls Camp!


No comments: