Monday, November 10, 2008

This One's For Chuncle

This week marks my kid brother's 20th birthday. My brother Matt is one of the most important people in my life, and always has been. Probably before I was born. When I was young, I always wanted a little brother; my little sisters were OK, but they wanted to play with Barbies and make up dance routines. Not really my thing. I knew a brother would like the same stuff I did, or could at least appreciate my sizable LEGO collection.
Finally, when I was 10, my baby brother was born. He was everything I hoped he would be - funny, sweet, a little on the mischievous side, smart and devoted to his big sis. Not much has changed in 20 years. He's all those things and much more. I haven't seen him in a while; he's been serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since February, and if you know anything about it, you know it's a two year commitment. I miss him everyday, and I know Kevin and Stellan do too.
Every day Stellan blows a kiss to his Uncle (Chuncle) Elder Matt Steward when he looks at the photo of the two of them together on the wall. And I remember how lucky I am to have two such awesome guys in my life. Plus, it's hard to see a little (some days a lot) of Uncle Matt in my son; if you enjoyed the look on Stellan's face as he was table dancing in the video on yesterday's post, you've seen a snapshot of the look Matt used to get (and sometimes still gets) when troublemaking was imminent. I'm pretty sure my parents think I'm getting my comeupance for all the times I defended my rascally brother now that I have a little rascal of my own. And I wouldn't trade either one of them for the world.
Happy birthday, little brother! I miss you more than you know, but not as much as I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ditto

JHD said...

No freakin' way is Matt 20 years old.
Does not compute....