Friday, October 2, 2009

You Were Right

While we were in CA, my good friends Vivian, Jerry and Levi came to the moms' house for dinner. One of the topics of conversation was a book Vivian had been reading. She described it this way: "It's about this guy who decides he wants to know everything so he reads the entire Encyclopaedia Brittanica. It's called 'The Know-It-All' or something like that."
She then proceeds to say, "Krissie, you'd really like it."
As I sat a little stunned to be called out like that, I had to admit that sometimes I am a know-it-all, but I wasn't ready to publicly concede it. So instead I half-pretended to be offended and tried to defend myself. It was pretty weak.
Lo and behold, right around my birthday, guess which book arrives in the mail. And again, Vivian was right; I did enjoy the book very much.


My only consolation in all of this is to point out that while I may be a know-it-all, Vivian was the one who knew more than the know-it-all. Well played, Viv.


5 comments:

Claire said...

i love this book. it's full of exactly the kind of stuff i love to read about. luckily amanda ball told me that i'd really like it.
thank goodness for friends.

Katie said...

I'll have to check it out.

My Vivian was a guy in high school who told me there was a new Spin Doctors song that reminded him of me.

It was 'Little Miss Can't be Wrong.'

Flem said...

I think she meant that you knew a lot of stuff, not that you thought you did.

I mean, I always think of you as knowing a lot of stuff, not just thinking you do.

Cheryl said...

well I'm now looking for good reading so with the recommendation of 2 good friends t goes on the list. thanks 4 sharing

Anonymous said...

Toni and Riley here. We check your blog every Monday morning. Riley is very disappointed when there are no photos. I am on Krista's laptop. HOpe I can figure out how to send this. Hope all is well.
<3 Toni & Riley